Morris Minor 1928 to 1932

Morris Minor adIn 1927 William Morris the owner of Morris Motors purchased the defunct Wolseley Motor Company, renaming it Wolseley Motors 1927 Ltd. Wolseley had been producing cars with overhead camshaft engines since the First World War, and Morris had Wolseley produce an engine for his new economy car at their Ward End, Birmingham, factory. It was a four-cylinder, water-cooled of 847 c.c. with an overhead camshaft using the armature of the Dynamo mounted vertically at the front of the engine as part of the drive. It had an out put of 20 b.h.p. The rest of the car was conventional with a three-speed gear-box, a spiral bevel live rear axle, cable operated four wheel brakes and semi-elliptic springs on both axles. The minor was aimed at the section of the market dominated by the Austin Seven, and was priced accordingly, with tourer at £125 and a fabric bodied saloon at £135. Over thirty nine thousand were made in a four year period. The Minor and its O.H.C engine was to form the basis of the first M.G. Midget. The unusual camshaft drive was to lead to electrical problems, as the dynamo's position limited its size and oil leaks caused it to fail, problems that were not sasifactorily solved. In 1931 an alternative side-valve  engined model was available and produced along side the original Minor.

Morris Minor ad

Previous Page                                Introduction Page                                Next Page