Singer Ten, 1912 to 1917 then 1919 to 1924
In 1912 Singer Motors of Coventry, produced a heavy but long lasting economy car, the Ten.
Unusually I have found a detailed description of the car,written in 1955 by Ernest F Carter.
The pre-First World War Singer was also well in the vanguard of light-car design, being
particularly interesting because it was the first vehicle of its kind to be put upon the English
market which showed that it was possible to build a well-designed small car on large car lines. In this respect it is not surprising that the Singer light car boasted but few novel points of design save that the gearbox was combined with the back axle, which arrangement considerably simplified chassis design though increasing the unsprung weight.
The engine, with its four 63x88 mm cylinders, was perhaps, the only light-car four-cylinder engine in which the cylinders were cast in pairs; which method, though expensive to manufacture, had the great advantage of facilitating service work, to which end the valves were also placed on the same side of the engine and made interchangeable. A gear driven camshaft operated the valves, the whole of the distribution gear being contained outside the crank-chamber, which had
external cast aluminium webs on each side forming trays between the engine and the chassis.
The inlet and exhaust manifolds were both external, the Claudel carburetter was mounted on the opposite side of the engine to that upon which the valves were placed, a very long induction pipe curving right over the cylinder castings connecting it with the inlet manifold; the unusual length of the pipe being said by the makers to promote better atomization of the fuel-shades of the 1906 Beeston-Humbers.
An H.T. magneto with fixed ignition driven from the valve camshaft took care of the spark, and lubrication was by a direct-acting pump from the sump to a three-bearing
crank-shaft as well as dip troughs under the big ends. Cooling circulation was on the thermo-siphon system with a grilled-tube radiator of pleasing design, the latter being assisted by a high-speed four-bladed fan belt driven from an extension of the camshaft.
was by way of a leather-faced internal cone clutch of which one member
was integral with the large-diameter flywheel, and from immediately
behind the clutch a large universal joint formed the front end of a
long propeller -shaft which extended right back to the rear axle, where
the gearbox was joined with another enclosed universal and telescopic
joint, the latter allowing for the relative motion caused by the axle
pivoting on the front pin of the half-elliptical rear springs.
Singer Ten Page Two